sábado, 18 de novembro de 2017

Making Games

Alright, for those of you who, for some reason, read my first post on this thing, I told you how I had to make a 6 week long project that was basically an "industry simulator". And the objective was to make a... *drum roll* ... a game! Yes, I am an aspiring game developer, as ridiculous as that might sound to some of you.

I was teamed up with 3 other students to make a project which we had been told nothing else besides of: "Make a game", that was it.

Say "Hi" to TR45H-Y, that little guy on the right there.

I came up with the idea of Trashy because I kinda have a crush on WALL-E, the disney robot, and me and my girlfriend had watched the movie just a few weeks before.

The idea was to have a weak and defenseless robot, whose job was only to mantain its' junkyard organized, and help him do the job by going through several small levels. He would be picking up trash and compressing it to make blocks that could be strategically positioned to help him out.

Again, as mentioned in my last post, my teacher told us multiple times that something was gonna go wrong, and guess what: he was right.

Forgetting about all the bugs, glitches, features that didn't make it and all that crap that (ah ah ah, let's be honest) no one really cares about, shit indeed hit the fan. Good call by you Dr. Mike! 👍

The stress of having a deadline, having to deal with people that we had just met a few days ago, with no guidance while dealing with a subject that we had to experience on... *hanging noose sound effect*... Not to mention that one of my team members went MIA the whole project. Don't you guys love college/university? 💚

I had made games in the past, never released of course, but I still made them.

Say "Hi" to Kanki:
And Anadma:

My two little children, as of now. Kanki was kind of a dead end, the idea is there, but it was just not fun, but I'll never forget him nonetheless. Anadma is still going, still being made in the vast planes of Unity Land.

So I was used to making some of these things, but I dreaded the engine that we were using, so I voluntereed to make the art side of the project. Booooy, how I sucked at it! At least that's my personal opinion, the public seemed to love it for some reason!

Here's a few examples of what I had to make:

Background 1
A Rat Enemy
Background 2
 And here's what some of the game looked like in the end:


I guess my level designer didn't trust me in the early phases of the project, so some of the sprites in the game weren't made by me, but no hard feelings, B-Dog, I wouldn't trust myself either!
I was also in charge of the sound department of Trashy, which I'm quite proud of, despite most of the songs thrown in there getting annoying after the first 30 seconds.

Anywho! Enough talking about my project, all you need to know is that we finished and we were proud of it! We had to showcase it in the end, and I think I'm allowed to say that the public loved it!... most of it!... And for all you curious folks out there, it was made in UE4.

My point being (TL:DR):

I had to make a game in 6 weeks, and I LOVED IT. It was challenging, sure, but the creativity doors that something like this opens for you are infinite. You have a canvas and you're told: "do something, whatever you like, and I will reward you". Yeah, it can be awful. Yeah, it might not be a big hit. But! you! did! it!, and no one can take that away from you. And let me tell you, it feels GREAT to be able to look at Trashy and say: "I did this".

So now I say: go ahead, make a movie, paint a landscape, write a book, and for all of you anti-nerd people: make a game!



Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário